4 Tips for Staying Healthy on Your Summer Vacation!
Summer is officially here in a couple of days, which means summer parties, get-togethers and vacations! It is possible to enjoy all that summer has to offer while maintaining your healthy habits and sticking to your fitness plan if you plan ahead.
First things first, what you are doing is for life, fitness is a lifestyle! Everything you do day in and day out; healthy eating, exercising, meditating or getting enough sleep is all part of your decision to live a healthier life. It doesn’t matter if you are traveling to some exotic destination or doing a couple of staycations, nothing drastically should change from you fitness plan. Remember it’s all about BALANCE!
Here are 4 healthy tips I swear by and keep me on track during vacations…
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Getting enough water is key to staying healthy when traveling. Drinking clean safe water and consuming vegetable and fruits with high water content helps keep your digestion and GI tract working properly.
- Pack healthy snacks. I always make sure to have plenty of healthy snacks for plane rides and layovers. Besides saving money (airport food is super expensive) it helps me stay in control of what I am putting inside body. Here are some of the snacks I like to bring:
- Homemade granola or granola bars
- Nuts and seeds
- Pre-washed and cut fruit and veggies like apples, grapes or carrots
- Air-popped popcorn
- Choose wisely when eating out. Being on vacation is no excuse to eat higher fat, sugary and processed foods and meals! Choose restaurants that provide entrée salads, grilled or baked meats and fish as well as a variety of fresh vegetables and fruits.
- Stay active! I’ve had clients say to me “I don’t know what I’m going to do for exercise while on vacation since I can’t take my spin class!” What? You should not feel pressured to maintain your normal workout routine, instead look for new activities that will let you experience your destination while fitting in some exercise at the same time! I always pack my running shoes and workout gear because most hotels have gyms available and I can always do push-ups, planks, squats and lunges right in my hotel room. No excuses 🙂
What healthy traveling tips do you have? Please share!