Kids Cook Monday
Here is the Kids Cook Monday recipe, which my oldest daughter (10) found herself, Chicken Corn Chowder from MyRecipes.com. My girls are really embracing the cooking thing. They are having so much fun, finding recipes, shopping for ingredients and cooking! If you have not cooked with your kids, you really should. I’ll share photos of their masterpiece later.
Chicken Corn Chowder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 green onions
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen corn kernels, thawed and divided
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) preshredded cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Remove green tops from green onions. Chop green onion tops; set aside. Thinly slice white portion of each onion. Add sliced onions to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in chicken, salt, pepper, 1 package of corn, and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- While mixture simmers, combine the remaining corn and milk in a blender; process until smooth. Add milk mixture to pan; simmer 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Ladle 2 cups chowder into each of 4 soup bowls; sprinkle evenly with green onion tops. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese.