How to eat healthy when you have no time
“I don’t have time to eat healthy!” I hear it all the time from clients and friends. Our lives are busy with work, kids, school and everything else, and sometimes you may feel like you don’t have time to prepare and eat healthy meals. But, eating healthy doesn’t really take any more time than eating unhealthy, it just involves you making it a priority and a little more planning on your part.
Here are a few things for you to think about when it comes to preparing and eating healthy when you are short on time.
- Plan your meals in advance. Make out your shopping list and go grocery shopping and get everything you will need for the week.
- When it comes to dinner, focus on one vegetable with your main course. For example spinach with pasta or broccoli with chicken breast. Keep it simple!
- If you use a crockpot, add broth, chicken and vegetables in the morning and by the time you get home you will have a healthy stew waiting for you.
- Cook once and eat at least three times! On your least busiest weekend day prepare a huge pot of vegetable or chicken soup and freeze it in single servings. You can then take out a serving in the morning and let it thaw in the refrigerator so that all you will need to do when you get home is warm it up.
- Keep healthy snacks readily available that you can grab throughout the day. I keep cut-up fruits and vegetables like carrots, apple and orange slices along with a bowl of washed grapes in the refrigerator. Also try to keep snacks such as homemade granola or trail mix with you in case you are out and about and there are no healthy options.
- Drink plenty of water at snack time, dinnertime, anytime. Keep a pitcher of water in your refrigerator with sliced lemon, lime, chopped watermelon or honeydew melon for flavor.
Incorporating small changes such as these can make a big difference to you finding the time to eat healthy.
What tips can you share on how to eat healthy when you have no time?